The Legend of Rawa Pening

 


Rawa Pening is a lake that located in Central Java. Rawa Pening located exactly in between basins of mountains. The name of Rawa Pening because Rawa means lake in the Javanese and Indonesia Language. Then, the lake has located in Pening Village. So, the lake named Rawa Pening. But, Rawa Pening has a legend that be trusted by some people especially, their own citizens.

The legend tells about a boy that lived in the village. He was a poor boy. But, actually he was not a real person. He was incarnate of a dragon which lives in the slope of mount Merbabu.

Pening was a village that very prosperous. Because the village located on the slope of Mount Merbabu, the land was fertile and the climate was cool. The weather always good all year round. So, the people of Pening Village made their living by cultivating rice, vegetables and fruits. The harvest was always satisfying and made them lived a happy life.

Every once a year the held a ceremony. The ceremony called “Bersih Desa”. “Bersih Desa” was a kind of thanksgiving day. The ceremony held as express their thankfulness to God for a successful harvest. They would clean their village and they would pray together. At night they would have a dinner together and held teather performances.

One day, after a successful harvest they would celebrate it. They wanted something special for the dinner. They wanted more meat for dinner. So, they went to a wood to hunting some animals for the dinner. Just outside of the village there were many animals like deer, buffalo, mouse deer, lamb and many other. But, that day there was no animal at all. No animals in there. They had searched every inch of the wood but their effort was in vain. When it was almost dark, they were very tired so they took a rest. They sat on something that looks like a rock and a big root. Everybody was silent because they were exhausted and disappointed.

Then, suddenly one of them chopped the big root with his sword to relief his disappointment. They all were surprised because the blood coming out of the root. Then, someone tried to chop it deeper. He found a meat ! So they chopped more and more to found more meat. After their bags were full of meat they were satisfied. Then they went home happily.

The night, the people of Pening were preparing a big dinner. They prepared the meat that they got from the wood. When they were preparing dinner, a boy came. He looked poor and he begged for food to some people. But, there were no people gave him food. Then, someone said:

“We are preparing dinner. You may come to our dinner tonight. But not now”. “But I am very hungry, please”.

“Just come here tonight”.

Suddenly an old widow came and took care of him. She was just a poor widow. She gave him food and shelter.

“You may take a rest here. Join us tonight for dinner”.

“Thank you very much. You are very kind to me and you are the only one who helped me. That’s why I will save you. Tonight there will be a great event here”.

“Yes, there will be a great party”.

“No, I mean something special”

“What do you mean, boy?”

“I cannot say now. But listen to me. Please prepare a boat for you’ “Why I must prepare a boat? What will happen?”

“Just do as I say”

“Please tell me what will happen?”

“OK, you are very kind to me so I will tell you. But, please promise me you won’t tell anyone”. “OK, I promise”

“I am Naga Baru Klinting. I am a dragon. I was meditating in the slope of Mount Merbabu when your people hurt me. They hurt me by chopping my body when they are hunting in the wood. Now they are preparing dinner with meat from my body. So I will take my revenge tonight, but I will save you. Prepare a boat for you”.

“Oh, please don’t do that. Forgive my people”. “Whatever will be, it’s will be. Good bye”.

Then the boy left. Before the dinner began, some boys were playing in in the yard. Suddenly a boy came to them.

“Hi guys! I have a game for you”.

Then, he held a small bamboo and attached it to the ground. “If you can pull it, I will give you a special present”.

“Oh, that’s very easy”. A boy said.

He tried to pull it. But, the bamboo was very strong so he could not pull it. Another boy tried. But, he also failed. Everybody failed. Then this game drew adult’s attention. One by one the adult also tried to pull the bamboo. But, same. All of them could not pull it. When many people gathered, then the boy said:

“O people of Pening. I am Naga Baru Klinting. I am a dragon. I was meditating in the slope of mount Merbabu when you chopped me. Now, I will take my revenge. Enjoy your party!”.

Then he pulled the bamboo. Amazingly, water poured from the ground. The water immediately flooded the village. Finally, the whole village sank under water. All Pening people drowned and died in the lake. But, there was only one survivor. The poor old widow who helped the boy. She had prepared a simple boat so she could survive.

Komentar